Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately?

+3
Lu_Song
MH_Huang
Erin_Lo
7 posters

Go down

Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately? Empty Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately?

Post by Erin_Lo Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:11 am

Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately?
If yes, then how was that?

For this literature, they conducted in-depth interview to ask the respondents to recall a familiar service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately, to describe his or her experiences with both two delivery mode. Perhaps we could make the same approach to discussion.

Erin_Lo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately? Empty Re: Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately?

Post by MH_Huang Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 am

How about our marketing management course? We have both in-class and online discussions. One is delivered unseparately and the other is delivered separately. Can you apply the theory and concepts that you learn from this paper to our class?

MH_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately? Empty Re: Do you have any experience about a service that could be delivered both separately and unseparately?

Post by Erin_Lo Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 am

It is true that we all have the same experience -our marketing management class. In-class meetings are unseparately while the on-line forums are delivered separately.

From this paper, it shows that the unseparated mode may be more effective to convey personal interaction and care. When we are having a in-class meeting, it is easy for us to know others responses and feelings immediately. Therefore , we can quickly react to those response in an efficient way. In contrast, as for the on-line forum, we can only gather informations by these posts, and we can only do our responses by posting.

The paper also indicated that "When both separated and inseparated service modes are available, customers will make trade-offs between the benefits and the shortcomings of service separation." However, as a customer in this "mm class service", we don't have choices between in-class and on-line. We just can follow the rules set by the service provider- professor. So it is quite difficult for us to make trade-offs. ha ha ~

Erin_Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Also since the class is a credence type of service, it's really
difficult to measure the effectiveness of the separated aspect (online
forums). There's a definite psychological risk and performance risk we
take when we host the forum. It comes in the form of miscommunication,
misunderstanding, and though separated service is usually more
convenient, I argue that in this case, it actually harder, at least for
me. I find in-class discussions more effective because it's a
concentrated focus for a short period of time instead of a whole day
event.

Lu_Song

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MH_Huang Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:34 pm

The idea is not to separte the two modes of service delivery, but to create synergies. So, in the paper the authors want to find out the benefits and risks of the two modes so that in designing services (the topic of this week), we will know what will be the best way.

MH_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin_Chen Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Personal banking can be delivered both separately and unseparately. There is online banking, which is separate and very convenient if you just want to check your account balance. There is also the ATM, which I often use if I am in a hurry, and especially here in Taiwan because the bank tellers at my bank here don't speak English. Wink And then, there is the unseparate aspect of banking, which is going to the bank teller.

I once went to my bank back at home and wanted to deposit a check. When I stepped into the bank, an associate told me that I can simply deposit the check at the ATM. I told her, however, that I didn't feel at ease depositing a large amount of money into an ATM machine. I don't know, I suppose I prefer the bank teller when depositing money because I feel more safe.
Lin_Chen
Lin_Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm

A lot of supermarkets in the US now have self check out in addition to the standard casheir-type one. In the self check-out, you can surpass the long lines waiting for a cashier, and just do it yourself. Although it can be a bit confusing for people who don't know how to use it and sometimes things just don't work, then you have to spend more time to find someone to help you fix things if you mess up. Does that count as a separated service?

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Jamie_Tang wrote:A lot of supermarkets in the US now have self check out in addition to the standard casheir-type one. In the self check-out, you can surpass the long lines waiting for a cashier, and just do it yourself. Although it can be a bit confusing for people who don't know how to use it and sometimes things just don't work, then you have to spend more time to find someone to help you fix things if you mess up. Does that count as a separated service?

I personally would say that fits more in unseparated service because the customer is present and actively engaged in the service itself. If you were to order your groceries online, then I think it'd be separated service.

Lu_Song

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by camille_girard Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 pm

All services which are provide both in offline store and online store are separately and unseparately : for example book's company (as FNAC) provide book in store and on internet. You can buy directly on their website or go in store and ask the saler. There is also a lot of multimedia's company (computer, hifi...) which use the same way.
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by MH_Huang Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Lu is right. The supermarket example is about self-service vs. full-service. This is another distinction we should be aware of in designing services.

MH_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 pm

I was thinking about going to a cinema as a service that is both being delivered separately and unseparately. Buying a ticket and drinks is unseparate, but when the film eventually starts, the separate part of the services begins, as in most cinemas the tools have been prepared beforehand and it comes down to the technical aspect. Or am I wrong..?
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26
年齡 : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Erin_Lo Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Eva_Berends wrote:I was thinking about going to a cinema as a service that is both being delivered separately and unseparately. Buying a ticket and drinks is unseparate, but when the film eventually starts, the separate part of the services begins, as in most cinemas the tools have been prepared beforehand and it comes down to the technical aspect. Or am I wrong..?

I think you are right.
According the definition from the reading, service separation means customer's absence from service production. In this cinema example, consumers don't participate in the movie making process , so this might be a separated service.

Erin_Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down