Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services??

+6
Ian Chen
Sean_Huang
Jamie_Tang
Erin_Lo
MH_Huang
YOUNGJIN_KIM
10 posters

Go down

What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services?? Empty What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services??

Post by YOUNGJIN_KIM Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services??
According to the article, 'hedonic services tend to involeve physical acts to customers' bodies, which are largely inseparable in nature.' Is there any examples that hedonic services can be separated??

YOUNGJIN_KIM

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services?? Empty Re: What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services??

Post by MH_Huang Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:54 pm

I am somewhat dubious about this becasue hedonic services can be separable or unseparable. For example, digital music is separable whereas live music is unseparable; both are hedonic services.

MH_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services?? Empty Re: What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services??

Post by Erin_Lo Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:07 pm

and I think it depends on how we define "hedonic services".
When I first see this two words, I think of sports or spa which have direct contact to our bodies. But after reading professor Huang's reply, I think of another example : compare going to a sports game and simply watch the game on TV, one is unseparable and the other is separable.

Erin_Lo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Attending an exercise class (unseparable) or doing exercises from one of those workout DVD's (separable)? As a hedonic service that could act as both unseparable and separable.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean_Huang Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:29 pm

YOUNGJIN_KIM wrote:What is the differences between utilitarian and hedonic services??
According to the article, 'hedonic services tend to involeve physical acts to customers' bodies, which are largely inseparable in nature.' Is there any examples that hedonic services can be separated??

Based on my understanding, utilitarian services is the service to help us get things done, things that we don't feel enjoyable and we would hope to spend the least time and effort on them. Hedonic services, on the contrary are things we enjoy doing, so we would like to indulge ourselves in them.

Hedonic services, such as entertainment, are not necessarily inseparable. For example, computer games seems to be a separable hedonic service.

Sean_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 pm

I think hedonic services in Japan tend to be more inseparable than similar services in other countries. They believe that the production and consumption of the services should be performed simultaneous because they think it can gain more customers' trust...

But the situation has been changed these days. Due to blooming technology, more and more services provided separable which used to be inseparable. Take Live concert for example, you can watch it with High Definition TV signal and the quality is as good as you directly go there.
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by camille_girard Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Utilitarian is related to something usefull, we need it. Otherwise, hedonic needs is related to pleasure, something that make you happy. It 's more subjectif that utilitarian because it depends on people.
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin_Chen Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 pm

I agree with Sean, computer games and things of the same matter, I think, can be considered as a separate hedonic service....or watching a convert via Youtube and a movie through an online website.
Lin_Chen
Lin_Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 am

i think that luxuries are consumed primarily for hedonic pleasure while necessities are required to meet more utilitarian goals.

so i think hedonic goods are provided for experiential consumption, fun, pleasure, and excitement, such as flowers, fancy clothes, music,
luxury bags.

Utilitarian goods, on the other hand, are primarily instrumental and their purchase is motivated by functional product aspects, such as
microwaves, personal computers.

chiaying_lin

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo_Kuo Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:01 am

i agree with Sean and Camille.
Utilitarian services is the service to help us get things done and hedonic services can make us happy and more willing to do it.
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down