Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that?

+9
t97701103
Lin_Chen
ChienWei_Lee
Jamie_Tang
camille_girard
Eva_Berends
Ian Chen
MH_Huang
chiaying_lin
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you care being recorded your purchasing behavior and economic situation?

Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? I_vote_lcap14%Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? I_vote_lcap57%Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? I_vote_rcap 57% 
[ 8 ]
Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? I_vote_lcap29%Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 14

Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? Empty Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that?

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:14 am

As mentioned in the summary: “However, before cultivating customers, a wide range of data is required,…”

But where are customers’ data come from? Nowadays, the way each customer spends money is observed and analysed. For example, shoppers who buy diapers for the first time in a famous supermarket in US, receive coupons by mail not only for baby wipes and toys but also for beer, according to a Wall Street Journal report. Data analysis revealed that new fathers tend to buy more beer because they can’t spend as much time at the pub.

As an analyst, I agree that it should be an effective marketing way, but, as a customer, I feel like being watched! pale pale pale

What do you think about that? Are you care or not? Or do you have any personal experience to share with us which is related to this kind of marketing strategy

and let's have a poll Smile

Last edited by chiaying_lin on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

chiaying_lin

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? Empty Re: Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that?

Post by MH_Huang Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:41 am

This is a very good concern. To what extent will you be willing to sacrifice your privacy in order to enjoy the benefit of having customized services? Without knowing you better (in any way), firms cannot meet your demand. Any thoughts?

MH_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? Empty Re: Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that?

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 am

I think the new trend of marketing strategies have formed, and marketing department do more "Inductive guess" of customer's behaviors and interests by using IT technology rather than do traditional survey!!!!

Personally, I don't care about being watched tongue
Because there's lot more people "watching" you while you surfing WWW.... Twisted Evil
The most important thing that you should keep in mind is that

"Do not leave any important message on-line !!!! Shocked "
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:41 pm

To a certain extent I don't care about being watched either, since the information will also be used in order to improve products or support innovation. However I do understand that a lot of people might not like the idea. But remember we are being watched already in many ways on the internet.

Last edited by Eva_Berends on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26
年齡 : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by camille_girard Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:08 pm

I understand that some people don't like to being watched all the time but for marketers, it is crucial nowdays to know your customer and to propose them the product which will fit to their needs. For customers, this kind of practise have the advantage to propose them advert, coupon, which correspond to their needs, way of life. When you register in facebook and you insert some details about your life, hobbies, usw you have now advertising (at the right side on the page) which correspond to your profile. I think it is not so bad to have advertising which correspond to you and your interest. And anyways we are observed everywhere !!!!!
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I agree with all the opinion above and thanks for your sharing Very Happy Very Happy

but, to be honest, somehow I think I do care a bit. albino
maybe it's because i think it would be much better if they ask beforehand Smile

besides, i really don't like my inbox be full of advertisements....
for an instance, I booked a flight ticket online last year, and since then, every now and then, there are ads coming from travel agency and airlines, but actually I'm not going abroad again in a year. so honestly,it's useless and quite annoying for me sometimes.

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 pm

I agree with Ian, I don't really mind it, some people tell me that it is just because I am from the United States, and in Taiwan people do not use credit cards as much, but for me it isn't really a big concern if it helps companies offer more and better products.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ChienWei_Lee Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm

I think I care a little bit.
It's not because I'm doing something bad but being watched makes somehow unpleasant.
Also, I think privacy has something to do with security.
ChienWei_Lee
ChienWei_Lee

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25
年齡 : 35
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin_Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Personally, I don't care at all because I know that the company is doing it to tailor to my needs and wants. I agree with Camille...nowadays, as consumers, we are being observed everywhere we go. A scary thought, but then again the companies are doing so, so that they can customize their products and services to us.
Lin_Chen
Lin_Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:00 pm

When it comes to companies tracking your location and send you ads associated with it (location based advertising), e.g. through SMS, scientific studies in general show that consumers accept it if they have given their permission to the companies to do so. I am not an exception, I think it is allright for companies only if I give them my permission to track or watch me. Otherwise I strongly dislike it and see it as a violation of my integrity.

t97701103

Back to top Go down

Post by YOUNGJIN_KIM Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Personally, I don't really care if i am being watched or not. some people may care, but i think mostly people living in network world don't really care as the firms ask your permission to get your info to offer more options. Additionally, customers believe that firms would keep the personal info in a safe way as they must do. Last year, I used 3mobile company in the UK and I was about to leave their services. so i called customer service center which is located in India(I could see that they spoke inglish....). and they said that my voice would be recorded for certain purpose.(ok then if they had to) then, talking to staff on the phone. The staffs kept saying that i should wait for right time to cancel the contract, call them a hour later or next day etc. it took 20day to cancel the contract. I realised that I don't care if my voice is recorded or not, but i do care if they waste my time or don't serve the customer with excuse every time. If a firm serve the customer with great offers and services while they take personal info, I think it doesn't really matter whether customers are being watched or not.
For example, Skyteam (www.skyteam.com) or Asiamiles (www.asiamiles.com) etc, they share the customers info with their collaborators, and they offer great options like free saving mileage within their companies. another example can be Point Card like Nectar (www.nectar.com) or others. Customers get points when they use their various retailers rather than gathering point in one retailer. in addtion, we get coupons, great offers by email so that customers can have more benefits and more choices.

Last edited by YOUNGJIN_KIM on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

YOUNGJIN_KIM

Back to top Go down

Post by YOUNGJIN_KIM Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:45 pm

For example, Skyteam (www.skyteam.com) or Asiamiles (www.asiamiles.com) etc, they share the customers info with their collaborators, and they offer great options like free saving mileage within their companies. another example can be Point Card like Nectar (www.nectar.com) or others. Customers get points when they use their various retailers rather than gathering point in one retailer. in addtion, we get coupons, great offers by email so that customers can have more benefits and more choices.

YOUNGJIN_KIM

Back to top Go down

Post by YOUNGJIN_KIM Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:46 pm

YOUNGJIN_KIM

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:55 pm

So it seems like there is nobody who cares a lot about being watched (just like me). But where is the line between acceptable and unacceptable? To what extent you don't care?
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for showing those examples, awesome ones Smile And yes, sometimes it can be such a hassle to make sure that companies don't get a hold of your information, and for me it seems more worth it just to skip all the time it takes and just go with the system. Also for most people, myself included, incentives such as the point cards make me feel okay about giving information away, because you can get something in return, but yes only with customer consent would it seem right.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Okay, I just typed a long response but it disappeared when I tried to post it. =[ so sad.

I think there's a definite privacy issue when it comes to companies gathering information about consumers. It can be quite bothersome if you move and before you even notify the post office, companies are already aware of your new address and are sending you ads. It makes one wonder, where are they obtaining this information? Is this legal? Are they stalking us through blogs, Facebook, or other social network sites? And with technology such as Google Earth, they can easily observe the environment you live in etc. Also, are the information they gather kept private or are they selling it to other companies (most likely the latter). It's things like this that we should keep in mind when provide information to other. Know that people can indirectly access them. Social security number and bank accounts can all be found...hence, identity theft. Information about us only increases, and it can be a potential threat. So when companies argue that they are fishing for consumer information so they can better serve us, perhaps they should really say "so it can better serves them," for they are the ones using our information to better market their product to us. Ultimately, it means profit for companies.

Lu_Song

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks a lot for this different view Privacy Issue: Are you aware of that you are being watched? And what do you think about that? Icon_smile Interesting!! Anybody else agrees with this?
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Also, I'd like to add that there are certain sectors of service or products that consumers really which to be anonymous. A good example is hygiene or personal guilty pleasures. Thus, it's very disturbing to consumers if there's a lot of customer interaction.

Lu_Song

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Lu_Song wrote:Okay, I just typed a long response but it disappeared when I tried to post it. =[ so sad.

I think there's a definite privacy issue when it comes to companies gathering information about consumers. It can be quite bothersome if you move and before you even notify the post office, companies are already aware of your new address and are sending you ads. It makes one wonder, where are they obtaining this information? Is this legal? Are they stalking us through blogs, Facebook, or other social network sites? And with technology such as Google Earth, they can easily observe the environment you live in etc. Also, are the information they gather kept private or are they selling it to other companies (most likely the latter). It's things like this that we should keep in mind when provide information to other. Know that people can indirectly access them. Social security number and bank accounts can all be found...hence, identity theft. Information about us only increases, and it can be a potential threat. So when companies argue that they are fishing for consumer information so they can better serve us, perhaps they should really say "so it can better serves them," for they are the ones using our information to better market their product to us. Ultimately, it means profit for companies.

actually my long responses and questions disappeared many times as well!!!!!! Sad
so guys, plz remember to copy your responses before you click on "sen
d"!

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Lu_Song wrote:Okay, I just typed a long response but it disappeared when I tried to post it. =[ so sad.

Thanks Song for your sharing, actually, i agree with you exactly! Very Happy

In my opinion, we, customers have no obligation to tell the company how we choose and what we buy.
Though I might permit them to record my purchasing behavior in exchange of some discount and gifts, but they have to ask me first, and I am supposed to be the one who hold the decision,it shouldn't be allowed automatically, cause it's part of our own information and privacy anyway.

What else, i also really wonder that how the personal informations have been shared.
it might be less critical if the shopping information is shared within the company,
but for me, it would be certainly harming my privacy if it is being sale between companies or from the credit card companies.

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Ho Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:11 pm

About the privacy issue, I think that there’s another point of view to think. Absolutely, there must be some basic principle to protect privacy, and most people care that more or less. On the other hand, the batter way firms should do is trying to find some way to induce customers to reveal their preference and needs.

Frank_Ho

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Frank_Ho wrote:About the privacy issue, I think that there’s another point of view to think. Absolutely, there must be some basic principle to protect privacy, and most people care that more or less. On the other hand, the batter way firms should do is trying to find some way to induce customers to reveal their preference and needs.
How do you think firms should induce customers to do that?
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:21 pm

[quote="Frank_Ho"]About the privacy issue, I think that there’s another point of view to think. Absolutely, there must be some basic principle to protect privacy, and most people care that more or less. On the other hand, the batter way firms should do is trying to find some way to induce customers to reveal their preference and needs.[/quote]

First, thanks for you sharing, Frank Very Happy
yep! the question crossed my mind before as well.

how could the firms induce customers to reveal their preference and needs.?

let start a new topic albino

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:27 pm

chiaying_lin wrote:

Thanks Song for your sharing, actually, i agree with you exactly! Very Happy

In my opinion, we, customers have no obligation to tell the company how we choose and what we buy.
Though I might permit them to record my purchasing behavior in exchange of some discount and gifts, but they have to ask me first, and I am supposed to be the one who hold the decision,it shouldn't be allowed automatically, cause it's part of our own information and privacy anyway.

What else, i also really wonder that how the personal informations have been shared.
it might be less critical if the shopping information is shared within the company,
but for me, it would be certainly harming my privacy if it is being sale between companies or from the credit card companies.

Personal information leaking, according to Acer's Security center's statistical data, mostly resulted from intentional attack against Firms' Database by hackers. Firms, as same as customers, did not realize the problem until it has been reported by mass media. However, even though both firms and customers are victims, Firms should be responsible for lacking awareness of hacking and poor ability of information defending...... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Hmm that is a good point also. Firms should not be blamed when the reason for information leeks are out of their hands. I mean, hackers can very well attack us individually and it wouldn't be our faults, unless people are just very very careless, then thats a different story. But, yes, most of the time people are aware that their information is being collected, then I don't quite see any problem. Although, maybe they should give the choice to customers, but if that happens, most likely nobody will offer their information to the companies. Then how will they try to improve or do whatever they do with our information?

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Jamie_Tang wrote:Hmm that is a good point also. Firms should not be blamed when the reason for information leeks are out of their hands. I mean, hackers can very well attack us individually and it wouldn't be our faults, unless people are just very very careless, then thats a different story. But, yes, most of the time people are aware that their information is being collected, then I don't quite see any problem. Although, maybe they should give the choice to customers, but if that happens, most likely nobody will offer their information to the companies. Then how will they try to improve or do whatever they do with our information?

No, you misunderstand my meaning, Jamie...

information leaking, no matter what the reason is, Firms should always be blamed for Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

they are blamed for the fact that they have no ability to deal with web security issue.
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Oh okay, well I don't believe that firms should be blamed when its really not their fault though... well maybe if the security was really terrible then yes they are entirely at fault, but sometimes it just can't be helped. In those situations, I don't think anyone can be blamed except the hackers. And sorry, I misread your post Ian xD But I suppose in the event that it actually happens, firms should still take responsibility and make it up to their customers. But either way, in the end, usually when something like that happens, customers end up leaving that company and going to a different one, so the firms must take responsibility, whether it is their fault or not.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by MaoHung_Wang Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:57 pm

I think personal data and user's habit are quiet different.
I will angry when someone send spam mail or get a advertising phone.
But I don't care about Amazon recommend books to me.
Though if they leak these information to other firm, I will feel unhappy too.

MaoHung_Wang

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:03 pm

i do agree with Mao hung that somewhat user's habbit/custom is different from personal data/information. Very Happy

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Jamie_Tang wrote:Oh okay, well I don't believe that firms should be blamed when its really not their fault though... well maybe if the security was really terrible then yes they are entirely at fault, but sometimes it just can't be helped. In those situations, I don't think anyone can be blamed except the hackers. And sorry, I misread your post Ian xD But I suppose in the event that it actually happens, firms should still take responsibility and make it up to their customers. But either way, in the end, usually when something like that happens, customers end up leaving that company and going to a different one, so the firms must take responsibility, whether it is their fault or not.

So the privacy issue and information security are the most critical problems that you must deal with before heading to "e-business".
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum