Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the government make laws to prevent the situation?

+9
Erin_Lo
MaoHung_Wang
chiaying_lin
Ian Chen
camille_girard
Frank_Ho
Jamie_Tang
Raphy_Liang
Roy
13 posters

Go down

Should the government make laws to prevent the situation? Empty Should the government make laws to prevent the situation?

Post by Roy Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 pm

According to one cause of Mortgage Crisis might be the improper mortgage ads, should the U.S. government (ex: Congress, United states federal courts) legislate related laws to force advertisers to disclosure the intrinsic information (annual rate, yield…,etc. ) in ads in future?

p.s. I know it's a big issue, even related to ...freedom of expression maybe.

Roy

注冊日期 : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Should the government make laws to prevent the situation? Empty Re: Should the government make laws to prevent the situation?

Post by Raphy_Liang Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

I do think that financial ads need regulations.
For other example, drink or food ads are controlled already.
And it's a new issue for authorities to control financial ads after financial crisis that they notice it.

Raphy_Liang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26

Back to top Go down

Should the government make laws to prevent the situation? Empty Re: Should the government make laws to prevent the situation?

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 pm

I also believe that financial ads could use some regulations. They can have such an impact on people's lives, I believe that, like for the food ads, they should be required to show their important information for the protection of customers.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Ho Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 pm

I think that it’s hard to regulate financial ads. Usually the regulations of ads prohibit harmful or untrue descriptions. However, for financial ads, there’s just “incomplete” information but still “real” information. Thus, it’s very difficult to decide which ads should be punished or regulated.

Frank_Ho

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by camille_girard Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:34 pm

I also think government must control the ad especially in this kind of product and service. It is really important and I don't know why they did not act before the crisis. Also some associations as consumer association could play a significant role on providing information to the customers.
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 pm

It's not a general case for every government over the world set up laws to prevent the situation. In my opinion, it depend on market environment and current government concerns. Country with free market might face a critical issue in dealing the situation. According to some school of thought, there shouldn't be any interference in market by government.
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 pm

In my opinion, it's quite necessary for governments to have some regulations on the mortgage ads. The governments don't really have to involve the mortgage market, instead, what they should do is making some basic rules for the companies and ads to play, for example, they can require that the interest rate should be clearly mentioned in every mortgage ad or something like that.

chiaying_lin

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MaoHung_Wang Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Ian Chen wrote:It's not a general case for every government over the world set up laws to prevent the situation. In my opinion, it depend on market environment and current government concerns. Country with free market might face a critical issue in dealing the situation. According to some school of thought, there shouldn't be any interference in market by government.

There is a premise for this, information is open to everyone and all people realize information exactly.
But now we are talking about someone try to twist the information.
So for my opinion, Yes. This helps health of the market.

MaoHung_Wang

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Some people say it is hard to regulate the financial ads, but either way just opening up the necessary information to the public is a step that can help many people get a clear knowledge of where they are putting their money. Just like we have the right to know what we eat, we have the right to know where our money is going, and feel more safe that our money is in good hands.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Erin_Lo Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 pm

I think there should be some regulations to solve those mortgage crises. These regulations can force advertisers to disclosure intrinsic information. However, I don’t think regulations can reduce those problems to zero because most everyone tracing after profits and sometimes the more intrinsic information that consumers know, the less profits advertisers and producers can get from consumers. Therefore, if these regulations really exist, advertisers may try to find some ways to improperly disclosure information without being accused.

Erin_Lo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Well, true, its impossible to eliminate the sneaky advertisers, but at least you can lower the number of false ads, which is at least a good start to help customers get more reliable information with some regulations.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin_Chen Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 pm

I completely agree with Jamie (2nd post). Though, it seems like the US has the most strict regulations on advertisements while most other countries do not as much.
Lin_Chen
Lin_Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo_Kuo Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 pm

i think legislating laws to financial ads is necessary.
Because people whose works are not related to finance are easy to fall into financial trap.
Especially when advertises are attractive and seem to be safe.
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean_Huang Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:47 am

When product/service provider and buyers have assymetrical information, different interest, and the product/service is of great impact (for example, credit card), I think regulations from the government is necessary.

Sean_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:58 am

Although some people may argue that Govt. shouldn't intervene with business operations and consumer consumptions, I think it's absolutely necessary for a third party to regulate (doesn't have to be govt. but it can be). Even if consumer has the available resources to find out more information about their purchases, they shouldn't have to differentiate between lies and truths. They should just be presented with truths and determine which one best fit their need. Companies should remember that customers are number 1 and they shouldn't have to bend over backwards just to gain truthful information.

Lu_Song

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum