Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs?

+4
Ian Chen
Jamie_Tang
Eva_Berends
chiaying_lin
8 posters

Go down

How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs? Empty How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs?

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:23 pm

This is a good question from Frank Very Happy
Let's discuss a bit what the companies can do to make the customer be willing to tell them more about their preference and needs?? Very Happy

chiaying_lin

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs? Empty Re: How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs?

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 pm

I think the barrier to talk about preferences and needs from the viewpoint of customers is quite high. More people just agree with the idea of their information being saved than really tell companies about this same information. There should be some significant rewards, otherwise most people won't do it I believe. Look at surveys, most people I know don't take the time to fill in one..
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26
年齡 : 34

Back to top Go down

How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs? Empty Re: How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs?

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:34 pm

okay, i will give it a try...

i think there is a good way to tempt customer by giving something in return.
For example, a car company could offer a car and some money as prize, and all the customers who go trying the car and leave their personal information as well as their opinions and suggestions for the car have a chance to win it.

so in summary, i think offering something in return is a good way for the companies to know more about their customers' preference and needs.
Very Happy

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Hmm this is a good point to think about, thanks Frank!~ Well, I think that trust/loyalty to a company can help make the customer willing to tell that specific company more about themselves. If a person really likes their product, they would probably be willing to help out the company and give out some of their personal information. Also, incentives is another way to get customers to tell the companies more. Offering a sort of lottery or raffle for submitting surveys seems to be quite popular (I get those all the time), and when people are getting something in return, they'd be more willing to offer whatever information they have. Otherwise, if it was just a normal survey with nothing in it for us, most people wouldn't bother to fill it out.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:42 pm

combine with some hot Facebook web-activities, such as Mafia war, Pet society....blablabla , it's easy to reveal your preference and needs without any awareness. Even more, they just simply collect your Facebook information and through you find your friends' information within only a click from you. Sometimes, customer data can be collected by some psychological guidelines.

so, do not spend too much time on Facebook's app. Twisted Evil
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 pm

I was also thinking about those hidden kind of information gathering processes Ian. It might work better than all the surveys with rewards together, sadly!
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:45 pm

It feels like everyone is going to turn very paranoid and never give out any of their personal information ever again xD Yeah, from Facebook, you can always see the ads on the side are related to the places you've been or the things you type. So I guess another way companies can get customers to give out informations is to let them do it without them even realizing they are giving information to the companies.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by camille_girard Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:46 pm

I also think that a good way to attempt customer is by giving something in return. Myself, every month I answer a survey in internet and I get 7 euros (300 NTD).

Another way is to give some samples of the product or a new produt from another company for example to generate interest.
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Jamie_Tang wrote:It feels like everyone is going to turn very paranoid and never give out any of their personal information ever again xD Yeah, from Facebook, you can always see the ads on the side are related to the places you've been or the things you type. So I guess another way companies can get customers to give out informations is to let them do it without them even realizing they are giving information to the companies.

conclusion : Get away from Evil Facebook !!! lol!
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 pm

I really think rewarding is the only way to get customers to talk about their needs and preferences. When there is no reward or interest towards the product or company, people won't fill out surveys, as it is rather time consuming. There is a typical saying in Holland which means something like this: only the sun rises for free.. 99 % of all people just need something in return, unless they are very loyal to the company or have another reason to do so

Last edited by Eva_Berends on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Ian, you mean the one i'm using right now and cannot live without????????
ahahhaa lol!

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Yes and as far as surveys go, as Eva said, when there is no reward or incentive, only people with strong feelings for that product/company will fill out the survey... they can either be very loyal and absolutely love the product, or they can be very ticked off and hate the product, usually thats the only time when people would voluntarily fill out a survey with nothing in return.

ps... Christine ... ME TOO XDD

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Ho Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Oh, let me give it a try~ ^^”

The CEO's talk in the first week came to my mind. There are many smart ways for e-marketing. For example, the “shopping list” or “my favorite” of some website could become important information for company such as Books and Yahoo. When there’s a topic many people search for or the kind of books many people want to buy, there would be some needs of customers. And somehow the number of clicks would reveal a lot of information from customers. By ways such like these, firms know customers needs and preference without make them feel uncomfortable.

Frank_Ho

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:16 pm

True, but customers might not appreciate these kinds of information gathering processes, as discussed in other topics. It is the most effective way though How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs? Icon_rolleyes
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Erin_Lo Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Frank_Ho wrote:Oh, let me give it a try~ ^^”

The CEO's talk in the first week came to my mind. There are many smart ways for e-marketing. For example, the “shopping list” or “my favorite” of some website could become important information for company such as Books and Yahoo. When there’s a topic many people search for or the kind of books many people want to buy, there would be some needs of customers. And somehow the number of clicks would reveal a lot of information from customers. By ways such like these, firms know customers needs and preference without make them feel uncomfortable.
I agree with you. And I think these kinds of "customer needs and preference" information really works a lot. There is no need to know some private information from customers but still can gather infomations about there needs and preferences. Therefore, it is a proper way which won't make our customers feel uncomfortable.

Erin_Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:33 pm

But maybe it does make people feel uncomfortable, as discussed in other topics in this forum. How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs? Icon_silent
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 pm

So you wouldn't consider keeping track of the things we buy, and what we search and those types of things private information though? Because I think some people do also consider that private as well.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 pm

It is all private information in some kind of way. The fact that it is hidden in a funny facebook application or in some other fancy thing doesn't change the nature of the information and the way people feel about it, I believe.
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:41 pm

So then... why are we okay with giving away/letting go of some of our private information (what you buy, what you search for), when with others (address, phone number, etc) it isn't okay?

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 pm

I don't know. Human mind acts strange How could the firms induce customers to be willing to reveal their preference and needs? Icon_geek
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Haha... well I guess most of the time we don't really take that into account, so we don't realize it.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:51 pm

No, but the thing is, when it becomes evident, a lot of people suddenly seem to be against it and feel like their privacy is being taken away.
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo_Kuo Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57 pm

maybe company donot get the feedback of customers directly. For instance, company could hire university lab or other psychological research team to investigate customers' reaction to their prodouct. In the kind of case, customers would not know that companies get their feedback finally.
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum